[Forum] NASA Seeks Amateur Radio Operators’ Aid to Listen for Nanosatellite’s Beacon Signal

Tom DF5JL df5jl at web.de
Fri Jan 21 10:49:36 CET 2011

Source: arrl.org (http://is.gd/jNwcSV)

01/20/2011

On Wednesday, January 19 at 1630 UTC, engineers at Marshall Space Flight
Center in Huntsville, Alabama confirmed that the NanoSail-D
nanosatellite ejected from Fast Affordable Scientific and Technology
Satellite (FASTSAT). According to NASA, the ejection event occurred
spontaneously and when engineers at Marshall identified and analyzed
onboard FASTSAT telemetry; the ejection of NanoSail-D also has been
confirmed by ground-based satellite tracking assets. NASA is asking
radio amateurs to listen on 437.270 MHz for the signal and verify
NanoSail-D is operating. Hams should send information to the NanoSail-D
dashboard.

NASA said that the NanoSail-D science team is hopeful the nanosatellite
is healthy and can complete its solar sail mission. “This is great news
for our team,” said Dean Alhorn, NanoSail-D principal investigator and
aerospace engineer at the Marshall Center. “We’re anxious to hear the
beacon which tells us that NanoSail-D is healthy and operating as
planned. The science team is hopeful to see that NanoSail-D is
operational and will be able to unfurl its solar sail.” As of Thursday,
January 20, the NanoSail-D dashboard is reporting that beacon data has
been received, but NASA still wants amateurs to track and report the
signals.

On December 6, 2010, NASA triggered the planned ejection of NanoSail-D
from FASTSAT. At that time, the team confirmed that the door
successfully opened and data indicated a successful ejection. Upon
further analysis, however, the team found no evidence of NanoSail-D in
low-Earth orbit (LEO), leading them to believe NanoSail-D remained
inside FASTSAT. The FASTSAT mission has continued to operate as planned
with the five other scientific experiments operating nominally.

“We knew that the door opened and it was possible that NanoSail-D could
eject on its own,” said FASTSAT Project Manager Mark Boudreaux. What a
pleasant surprise [we had Wednesday morning] when our flight operations
team confirmed that NanoSail-D is now a free flyer.”

If the deployment is successful, NASA said that NanoSail-D will stay in
LEO between 70 and 120 days, depending on atmospheric conditions.
NanoSail-D is designed to demonstrate deployment of a compact solar sail
boom system that could lead to further development of this alternative
solar sail propulsion technology and FASTSAT’s ability to eject a
nanosatellite from a micro-satellite -- while avoiding re-contact with
the FASTSAT satellite bus.  -- Thanks to NASA for the information

--
Tom DF5JL | Echolink Node # 25976 | AMSAT # 0902657
HRN Member # 6203 | QTH: 53881 Euskirchen | 227 m NN

(x) Kenwood TS-480SAT (DSP)
( ) Lowe HF 150
( ) Roadstar TRA-2350P

(x) 2 x 6,3-m-Unterdachdipol mit 1:6-Balun (30°/210°)
( ) Indoor Loop
( ) PAØRTD Miniwhip-Aktivantenne
( ) Teleskopantenne

( ) GD 82 NF Filter